Chiropractic care is well known for pain management, but another remarkable benefit is its ability to treat individuals with hormonal imbalances and couples with infertility issues.
According to the World Health Organization, more than 10% of the global population suffers from infertility, which addresses those who have been trying to conceive for longer than 5 years. However, the WHO suggests that the prevalence might be 2.5 times larger for those who have tried unsuccessfully for 2 years. Moreover, female infertility contributes to two-thirds of these cases.
According to experts, hormone imbalance or abnormal endocrine funtioning is one of the main contributors to infertility due to the disruption in ovulation and reduced uterine line thickening, which sequentially hinders pregnancy.
Conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis, and glandular malfunction can therefore significantly impact an individual’s fertility. This is because our hormones act as a communication system in our bodies by regulating growth and reproduction.
This article will address common symptoms and causes, as well as how chiropractic care can help restore healthy hormone levels and boost fertility.
Common symptoms of hormonal imbalance
The below-listed symptoms are common signs to look out for if you’re worried about hormonal imbalance:
- Unexplained weight gain or - loss.
- Abnormal or irregular periods.
- Gut health issues like constipation.
- Dry skin.
- General weakness.
- Frequent urination.
- Body aches, stiffness, or swelling.
- Brittle or thin hair.
- Decreased sex drive.
- Change in mood (depression, anxiety, irritability).
Causes of hormonal imbalance & infertility
Although hormonal imbalance and infertility can have thousands of different causes, experts have highlighted the most common ones, which includes;
- Age: Women over the age of 35 years have less than 30% chance of getting pregnant.
- Tobacco and alcohol use.
- Bodyweight: Both obesity or being underweight significantly affect the body’s ability to maintain a normal and healthy menstrual cycle to ensure fertility in women. Bodyweight can also influence testosterone levels and sperm count in men.
- Over-exercising: Over-exercising may influence a woman’s menstrual cycle and therefore, affect their ability to fall pregnant.
- History of STI’s.
- Medical conditions: polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis, diabetes, hypo- or hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, Cushing syndrome, tumours, adrenal dysfunctioning, cancer, eating disorders, certain medications, and stress.
How can chiropractic care help restore healthy hormone levels and boost fertility?
In 2018, the Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health Chiropractic published the results of three separate case studies of three females who experienced difficulty falling pregnant.
- The 29-year old female suffered infertility for 3 years, never received chiropractic care before, and has failed attempts with intrauterine insemination, in vitro fertilization, and estrogen therapy. Her treatment mainly consisted of spinal adjustments through the Torque Release Technique, and surprisingly, she reported pregnant after 16 weeks of therapy.
- The 30-year old female also suffered infertility and complained of headaches, neck- and low-back pain, in addition. Her therapy consisted of Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) technique, as well as chiropractic adjustments, mirror image neck extension exercises, and traction. She reported pregnant after 30 therapy sessions.
- The 32-year-old female had a history of infertility, and headaches, abdominal- and neck pain, in addition. She received a wide variety of spinal adjustment techniques such as; Activator, Sacro-Occipital, ArthroStim, and Vibracussor, and conceived naturally after 6 weeks of therapy.
Another scoping review assessed 10 studies of 11 women, with a mean age of 31 and an infertility period of 3 years. The review concluded that pregnancy occurred after 5 months of chiropractic care, on average, while no side effects were identified.
This can be explained due to the close relationship between the musculoskeletal-, endocrine - and nervous system. The spinal adjustments and musculoskeletal corrections restore the nervous system pathways and therefore enhances its function. This, in turn, boosts homeostasis in the body and promotes endocrine functioning, to achieve healthy hormone levels essential for pregnancy.
It’s, however, important to understand that chiropractic care is not a curative approach but rather, boosts the body’s ability to function better and heal itself.
Yours in health,